Moving from past successes into breathtaking turbulence
If you were asked to pick the defining characteristic of today’s business environment, you would surely point to its turbulence— unprecedented, unstoppable, and, apparently, unlikely to go away. Globalisation, technological innovation, regulatory restructuring, demographic shifts, and environmental pressures have all conspired to continually redraw the competitive landscape. Consequently, the nature of most industries is changing quickly, and companies are seeing their rivals, suppliers, and customers transform at breathtaking speed. [Michael G. Jacobides – Harvard Business review - January 2010]
Most organisations now realise that too much attention has been paid to building strategy based on the strength of past successes, and not enough time has been spent on creating the future. This means that like many other things we need to rethink how we create strategy and how we implement it. We need to understand what to let go of, what to focus on in the short term, and what to invest in to create tomorrow’s success.
Building a resilient intent vision and strategy for your firm requires that we try and understand the forces that are changing today and shaping tomorrow. This is so we can make better sense of how we are living our lives and the kind of future we wish to create. Most believe that the future is unlikely to be a simple continuation of today.
Strategic Foresight is a process and a way of thinking that helps us anticipate the future, think clearly about what is important and then integrate that in a practical way into our decision making.
Creating success in a turbulent world
Based on strategic foresight thinking, our Principles and Techniques of Strategic Foresight framework is specifically designed to provide organisations with new ways of thinking, and to develop the skills and abilities necessary to envision, drive and deliver success in a world of increasingly boundary less space, characterised by high levels of change.
Rewiring your organisation for success
Our Principles and Techniques of Strategic Foresight framework is an easy to understand and practical application of the strategic foresight approach. They enable organisations to develop and implement effective filters for viewing the trends, triggers and possibilities around them. It shows how to design for success and how to integrate such thinking into the reality of organisations.
The Principles and Techniques of Strategic Foresight framework
The Principles and Techniques of Strategic Foresight program suggests that resilient strategy development has three active stages:
- An anticipation phase – developing a view of the emerging future that will shape the business
- A design phase – defining what future success might look like
- An integrate phase – which focuses on understanding where short term value lies and what transitions need to be made and what the journey looks like.
The 9 Principles
- THINK DIFFERENTLY: Stand in the future to better see today and tomorrow.
- ANTICIPATE FUTURE IMPACTS: Understand what could undermine today and create tomorrows success.
- START NEW CONVERSATIONS: Create new dialogues that clarify the questions and build new logic.
- EXPLORE THE CHAOS: Understand where value can be created and where it is being eroded.
- DEFINE FUTURE SUCCESS: Articulate a future inspirational direction.
- SPECIALISE & NETWORK: Be smart about leveraging available resources.
- UNBUNDLE WHAT IS: Learn what to forget, where to focus short term and what to take with you.
- LINK FORESIGHT WITH STRATEGY: Focus on those things that will make the world you wish to create a reality.
- LEAD QUANTUM CHANGE: Develop personal behaviours that help us navigate in this world.